Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Tribute to the FATHERS in my Family

Merrel, my dad, Larry, the father of my children, Marcus and Brady my sons-in-law, Jerry my son and (soon to be father) and Bill, my husband and the father of his children.

I just learned that the Hebrew word for Daddy – “Abba” is spelled in a very meaningful way. The Hebrew language consists of “picture” letters and to spell Daddy or Abba the 1st letter is a picture of an ox and the 2nd letter is a picture of a three sided house. Thus the literal translation of Daddy is “strength of the house”. Christ used the term “the strongman of the house”. What a beautiful picture that paints of a Dad, a strong man.

To be a true father, a man must be the strength in the home. The Dad is strong because he is the provider and the protector of his family, both physically and spiritually. This is the role he was created for, the role he was meant to do. That of course, is why a man is wired differently than a woman. Unfortunately, our society does not like to recognize this and it seems to try and feminize men and minimize their leadership and authority in the home.

But as I look at you, the men in our family, I look with pride and admiration. Are you all perfect? Of course not, only God the Father qualifies for that – but you all are the “strength in your homes” and I am proud of you for that. You are the providers-the strong leaders-the protectors of your wife and children. You take your jobs seriously; aware of the great responsibility and accountability you have to God for them.

I know that you pray for your families, play with your families, love them and teach them right from wrong. You do the hard things. You care for them not because it’s easy, but because of love, you discipline your children not because it’s easy, but because of love, you keep on doing the hard things when everyone else is tired, because you are the strong man in the house….and in turn you… are loved, honored and respected; your wives and children look up to you and trust you because of the sacrifices you make for them.

Thank you, men, for loving, protecting and providing for the women and children in this family. I love you all.
Happy Father’s Day and may God continue to strengthen you for your tasks.
Love,
Mom, AKA Leslie, Ruthie

No comments: